Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Surprise in Lavender


For those of you who don't know, our front yard seems to be absolutely wonderful for growing lavender. We have two bushes that were first bought as tiny little things and now are about 4 or 5 feet across and, when in bloom, reach chest height (and we aren't short people!!). I was trimming the dead parts out of the center of one of the bushes the other day and came upon what, I think, is a Sparrow's nest. Thought I would share the photo.
It was quite a delight to find. Shannon in particular was thrilled to see this. He's had a hard time understanding that he can't really mess with the nest, or even look at it too much, as it will cause Mama-Bird to abandon the nest. A big concept for 4 year olds I suppose.
We've seen mama-bird fly off a couple times now since the finding. I can't wait to hear the babies cheeping. This isn't something I've had the pleasure to experience since I was little and I am really eager to be able to share it with my own kids now. Plus, who wouldn't love to be born in a bed of lavender?!?!?!

No comments: