Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Strange - Part 2

This is a follow-up post to my Joan Jett-themed one from the other day about being a little strange.
There is something else a little bit weird. At least I've always thought so.
Somehow, for many years now (and the reference should help date it) I've felt like I was living life somewhere between a Dead Show and an episode of Frasier. ... ok ... yes, I know it is strange.

Many years ago I was told, by a guy named Jeff W., that I wasn't hippy enough to be a hippy. I thought it was a really odd thing to be told, but it also seemed to be a constant theme. People seem to think I am one thing only to find out, as I've also been told, that I'm not exactly what they expected (thanks guys from Shooting Creek Brewery).

Too often I don't fit in for the following various reasons:
*I don't do enough drugs. --- Though marijuana shouldn't be counted as a drug, it is & in my life it has had the greatest impact. I don't care if you smoke pot, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I just don't smoke it anymore. Personal reasons. Yet, even though I support your right to it, I've lost friends over it. Several times. I guess some would think it is wiser to be friends with people who can get you illegal drugs than people who just want to hang out with you. Stupid. -- Other drugs .. well, it's your life but my opinions are another story.
*I like to drink & party. -- I'm having a drink as I type this. (Does it show? I've been watching the Academy Awards .. don't you have to drink to get through that? Am I getting sloppy .. oy) Yes, we have kids. We don't really drink in front of the kids at all. Our idea of partying probably isn't too different from what our grandparents thought of it (maybe more cussing & jell-o shots), but in today's helicopter-parenting culture it is almost taboo.
*I support being green AND being frugal -- you'd be amazed how often these two are completely contradictory, though I'd argue they originally went hand in hand. When did Passive House become a money making, revolutionary idea (Adam Cohen, you're a tool!)?
*I cuss -- Fuck off and get over it. There are worse things in life you prudes.
*I follow my own path -- I lost a friend once because I decided to see if I really had what it took to eat meat, which at the time meant, could I kill my own food? Could I confront that issue? I could, but the friendship was gone.
*I'm honest -- People love me for my honesty, but thoroughly hate me for it too.


So, there it is. About being strange, part 2. About being too loud, too vulgar for some and about being not wild-enough for others. There ya go. You can read this and you will still probably meet me and think "you're not what I was expecting." It's ok, I don't care if you think I'm strange, I ain't gonna change! ;)

No comments: