Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Remember, Remember the 5th of November

"Remember, remember the 5th of November, the gun powder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot" - from 'V for Vendetta.'
It was with a huge sigh of relief that I woke up this morning. We were 110% for Obama and equally afraid of what would happen should McCain get elected. Palin especially scared us. When we went to bed Monday evening I turned to Justin and told him how I was really nervous about the election. We had recently watched 'V for Vendetta' and I was struck by the similarities of it and our current state. We decided if McCain got elected we would shave our heads. A sign that, as terrified as we were of what could/would come to pass under a McCain administration that we would face the future unafraid and more determined than ever to continue living along the path we've been living. I also found it ironic that the day after the election would be (and obviously is) Nov. 5th!
The boys insisted on going with me to vote yesterday. I explained to them who the President is and what he does. To make it understandable for a 4 1/2 year old (and a 2 year old) I told them that the President is like the "daddy" of our country. Shannon helped me cast my ballots while Tristan watched. We all got "I Voted" stickers, and Shannon is still wearing his!
I'm proud my children have gotten to be part of such a historic election. Shannon wanted to go vote again today, and when I told him it was over he asked me "well, what about Obama?" I thought that was really cute. I am proud that we were all able to see the first non-white-male elected as President of the United States. I hope they can one day look back on this and remember it, even if only just a small, fleeting memory.

No comments: